I have my yarn for my Gryffindor Winter’s Fern hat.
You may not remember, but when I was in Guthrie, OK I picked up this yarn in Spun Gold from SWAK. I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I love the color.
Then it hit me that it is Gryffindor gold.
Winter’s Fern is only three colors, and I can’t decide if it’s more Gryffindorry to use black or cream with the gold and red.
Here they are in black and white, which suggests the cream might be a better choice.
What’s your vote?
I’m very excited about making this hat. I love the idea of knitting HP themed projects but am not crazy about most of the designs I see out there. I wanted a decidedly grown up look to my project, one that suggests but does not scream Harry Potter nerd. (Although, I may add a pompom.)
So as not to confuse the issue, I ordered this pin which I may wear on the hat when the mood strikes.
In the spirit of blogaraderie, I started knitting a sock just so I could blog about it today. “Sock It To Me Monday” was started by mildlygranola, and picked up by quiteayarnblog. Of course I wanted to join in! (I also wanted to start on a sock, since I’ve been talking about it for such a long time.)
This is Purl Soho’s toe up sock pattern
in Moondrake Yarn Co
‘s Silky Fingering in Autumn Jewel. I picked up this yarn when I was in Oklahoma City. It has a lovely sheen, and the silk gives the merino some hardiness the way nylon does in other sock yarns. After I took these photos, I had to rip the whole thing out because I overlooked the part of the pattern where you are supposed to knit the yarn over increases through the back loop to close the hole. I don’t want socks with a bunch of holes at the toes!
I will restart them tonight, the correct way, and I’ll share more later (next Monday of course) once I have it really going.
Here’s me in my Marauder’s Map York. It’s not as comfortable as I want it to be, which has less to do with the pattern and more to do with the fabric I chose. I have noticed my sewing tends toward costume. I think the Seamwork collection planner will be good for me. It will help me think about what I really like to wear versus concepts that aren’t super wearable. I like the idea of this shirt. I think this pattern is better suited to a fabric with more drape. I also don’t like the neckline. I don’t see why you should use bias tape when you could make a facing. The sleeves are cool. I turned the cuff fabric around so I could read that part when I’m wearing it.
This is a photo from an advertisement that showed up in one of my social media feeds. I don’t remember the company. I saved it because I liked the look of it. I like the soft palette and three different patterns in similar colors. I’m going to print it out and put it in my collection planner for inspiration.
I finished my Seamwork York Blouse. How did I fit the pattern on the fabric? You may ask. And I’m glad you did.
I cut the front on the bare minimum of fold needed. Then I cut the back on folded fabric as close to the selvage as possible.
After this, I used the center of the fabric to cut out the sleeves. I had to double it horizontally, which means I had to cut it into two pieces – one for each sleeve – and turn it around since the fabric is directional.
Then I cut the cuffs out of the other side of the fabric left after the front was cut on the fold. I even have fabric left!
I see Harry Potter themed project and notions bags in my future.
I didn’t want a tie at the back, so as I was looking through my buttons I found this clasp.
It looks perfect but it comes undone a little too easily. I’ll have to think about how I can improve it.