I finished my Cemetery Drive Cowl on Tuesday! I love it. This yarn has so much subtle variegation.
Pattern is Cemetery Drive Cowl (Rav link). Yarn is BFL Mohair Fingering in Pitch and October from Forest Lane Fiber Co.
It’s been cool the last couple of days, and I cannot wait for autumn. Only 20 more days!
I got a little too excited about fall this year and bought a few too many gorgeous skeins of autumn and Halloween themed yarn. I clearly didn’t have time to knit all the things.
To prevent myself from ordering a lot more fall and Halloween themed yarn next year, but to still allow myself a yarny good time, I am making myself a fall advent calendar with yarn I’ve already purchased! I’m including an appropriate pattern and each package includes a Halloween or fall stitch marker. My short term memory is so bad, I probably won’t remember what’s in each bag. Hopefully I’ll remember I did this. I know, I’ll put it on my calendar. The best thing about it is I know I will love every one!
I’m a genius! Or I’m crazy! I’m really excited about this either way. I’m allowing myself two weeks in between each advent bag to knit each project.
I do have two outliers. I didn’t include my Celtic Colours Mitts, which I still haven’t cast on. And there’s a skein of Accidental Autumn that I was thinking about knitting into a Barley Light hat. But I’m not 100% on that pairing and I’d kind of like to knit that skein up right away. I’m in love with it.
I will probably finish my Broom Riding Cowl tonight. Just in time! It’s Hocus Pocus night! Are you going to finish all your Halloween projects in time?
It looks great with my Arachne!
And it’s super comfy! It’s a little big. Next time I’ll take the seams in a little more.
Sewing buttonholes on my Juki machine was pretty easy. Much better than sewing them manually on my old machine.
After the holidays I may try to make a wool version, and then a linen one in spring.
Once I finish my Broom Riding Cowl I will be all done with my Halloween makes. Are you making anything special for Halloween?
I finished my Halloween socks!
Pattern is a recipe based on Hermione’s Every Day Socks.
What’s next? I’m going to finish knitting my Broom Riding Cowl and sewing my Halloween Shirt. Then next month, along with a theme of thankfulness, I’m going to knit for others! And dive into my Mom’s Franca sweater and some socks for one of my kids.
I’ve got some interesting things going on in my garden. Could call it a second summer?
I think these peppers will be edible. I guess it pays to be lazy and wait until spring to clear out the garden.
I’m reading this book. I heard an interview with him on NPR about his new memoir, and I’m a fan. One time, I saw Peter Frampton as a guest on the Today Show at the start of baseball season, and he performed “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” on the Talkbox. I love that. It made my eyes twinkle with delight. I bought a copy for my sister, too, who is also a fan. I don’t normally purchase books, but I had to support this. I special ordered them from our local book store. I felt good about that, too.
It must be Feel Good Friday! What are you feeling good about today?
- I framed my felt piece and I love it. Thanks to everyone who left kind comments and bolstered my confidence. My friend Sharon said (in our Mother Artists at Work private group to everyone) “Be proud of your work!” She’s right. We should all be proud of our work.
2. I’m going to try to make 2-3 more pieces before the end of the year. This will help me gauge if a solo show next September is something I can manage.
3. I mended my favorite thrift store cardigan with the help of a Katrinkles’ Darning Loom. It accidentally? came out in the shape of Ohio. When Hannah told me she liked visible mending, I didn’t think I would like it. I was wrong. I like it! The gold is my turmeric dyed Cotswold. Also, elbow patch.
4. Bob and I hiked a total of 20 miles while we were on vacation. I will be applying these to my Move 4 Fair Trade mileage.
5. I voted by mail. I followed all of the instructions and took it in person to the post office. That was on October 7. I have been tracking my ballot, and it still hasn’t been marked as received. If my vote hasn’t been registered as counted by November 2, I guess I will be voting in person on November 3.
These are my anniversary gifts from Bob: a silly shirt that reflects my philosophy of life and the new Bill Callahan album.
Here is our Halloween watched list so far:
I will continue to add to this list and post it again at the end of the month.
- The Witch (an all time favorite)
- Shadow of the Vampire (another favorite)
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (twice so far)
- Salem’s Lot (This used to be a spooky favorite we watched for nostalgia reasons, but I noticed something this time that bothered me and I don’t think I will ever be able to watch it again.)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Hubie Halloween (We enjoyed this. It made us giggle and we are not ashamed.)
- Haunting of Bly Manor (I liked this but Bob kept falling asleep so I ended up finishing it by myself.)
- Los Espookys (Still rewatching Season 1 and getting ready for Season 2 to be released.)
- The Blob (I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, but to be fair I was riffing my way through it.)
- The Mothman Prophecies
- The Dead Don’t Die (Favorite)
- Troll Hunter (Favorite)
- The Shrine
- Books of Blood
- Vampires vs The Bronx
- Hereditary (a favorite any time of year)
- The Blackcoat’s Daughter
- Trick’R Treat
- Gretel & Hansel
- The People Under the Stairs
- Ava’s Possessions
- An American Haunting
- Sleepy Hollow
- The Mothman of Point Pleasant
Are you watching any spooky or spoopy stuff for Halloween?
I finished my Foursquare Cowl. I’m not gonna lie. I had some tension issues, which is all my fault. But I worked it out, and isn’t it pretty? The yarn is super soft. This is a fun pattern to knit. Also, I’m wearing my Weekender on the weekend, because I’m original like that.
I still need to finish my second PSL sock, but at least I’m on the heel flap. I have two new projects in the planning stages, and I will share about those later this week.
I am ready to start on my Rachel shirt. I’ve taped together the pattern and washed the fabric. I ended up getting new Halloween fabric because the print was too big on the first fabric. I am going to offer Bob a Halloween shirt from the big print. Like a Hawaiian shirt, but Halloween. He will probably decline. If so, maybe I can host a Halloween knitalong next year and make a few Halloween totes as prizes. Or maybe I can do both. It could happen.
We have our curtain rods, and once they are installed I will start sewing the curtains.
I have two pieces in the idea phase, and two shadow box frames for them made from salvaged barn wood. Now I need to fill in the in between. I am taking a vacation in October and I expect I will get them done then.
Other than that, I’m still plugging away on my list. I’m not focusing on fiddle at the moment, but I am focusing on increasing my running endurance. I’m up to 2 miles, 4 times per week. In October I hope to run 45 miles for our Move 4 Fair Trade campaign at work. If you would like to show your support for me, or Fair Trade, or Global Gifts, you can pledge here: https://move4fairtrade.rallyup.com/f95b63/goalissa
Yesterday, we had our first fire in the fireplace of the new house and it’s heaven. RBG’s passing was a gut punch. For Satur-date we ate our feelings and picked movies that we each defined as a “feel good” movie. Here’s the funny part, both movies are black comedies about ordinary people trying to cover up a death for their own ordinary reasons, money and love, taking place in beautiful scenery with great dialogue: Waking Ned Devine and The Trouble with Harry. Bob and I are the same person.
Yesterday I needed a day off from the go go go and we stayed in and watched horror movies.
Look at these cute earrings I purchased at the Iona Port Farmers’ Market on Saturday. A young woman was selling them. She makes them out of Fimo. I’m wearing the leaves today! You can see more of her work at catsandcrafts.shop. I kind of wish I had gotten a pair of yellow leaves, too.