I travel for work, and today marks my third trip in two weeks. I decided to be gentle with myself today and start my day with some knitting. I am decreasing for the crown on this hat. It would feel great to finish it soon. I’m on the bobble row.
Indy, here I come.
Tonight I knit the neck ribbing on Harald’s sweater. I think I may have picked up a few too many stitches in the front, what do you think? Maybe it will block out? Maybe it’s because I chose mock cable rib for the chest panel? Maybe it’s close enough and I should move on?
Look at those lines from the kettle dying below the chest. I saw them when I was knitting them but decided it didn’t matter. I am still okay with it because it’s hand dyed yarn and a hand knitted garment. I hope he will be too. I might be in denial about myself being okay with it.
A friend of mine introduced me to Color Street nail polish strips. I never paint my nails because ugh! What a pain. But these are cute and really easy to use. Check out my “Fleece Navidad” Christmas sweater nails.
So fun. And you don’t have to wait for them to dry to start knitting again! Because they are already dry! I think of them as being like window clings when I am putting them on. It was my first time and I did pretty well.
It might be a little early for Christmas nails, but I rationalize it by calling them Fair Isle nails.
Today was my only day off this weekend. I tried to relax and do fun things. Middle Child and I watched Season 5 of Vikings since the new season comes out later this month. I am loving this cold weather and looking forward to a big Thanksgiving.
I see many bloggers knitting Christmas gifts. I am not ambitious enough to do that. What about you? Are you knitting any gifts this year?
I seamed the shoulders of Harald’s sweater today. I was a little put out with myself because I had forgotten to keep my stitches live during shoulder shaping so I could use the three-needle bind-off method. I rationalized myself out of ripping back by telling myself this knit is drapey and a little heavy (due to accidentally knitting on size 9 instead of size 8 needles) and the seams would give it more structure. That probably isn’t true but my seams turned out nice.
I fell back into mattress stitching as if I did it every day instead of once every few years.
When you really love something I guess it is like riding a bike. You never forget!
I have been trying to find more knitting blogs to read by looking at the knitting hashtag in my wordpress reader. Do you have favorite knitting blogs? Will you share them with me?
I am under the weather today, and am trying to rest and take care of myself. Working from home is great, but it is so easy to fall into working all the time. I don’t feel terrible today, as my fever and headache subsided last night, but I know if I don’t recuperate today I may become more ill and miss work when it is inconvenient. Today is a light day anyway (until I get “deliverables” from my team) so I may as well take it easy and knit.
We don’t say “deliverables” at work. I think it is funny to throw corp speak around like I wear a suit or something. Say it one time with me: “deliverables.” Roll your Rs when you say it.
I’ve never posted a WIP Wednesday before. If I have the energy, I may even update my Ravelry today!
- To frog or not to frogThis is my West Highland Way Club design contest hat in Kate Davies’ Milarrochy Tweed. I had fully planned to frog it today and use the yarn for a Goats of Inversnaid hat for my youngest son, Hans, whose Chinese zodiac sign is a Goat, like me. He is also an Ares, so he is double ram. And, we like goats, a lot. I wish we could have goats.
Just a goat running up to the camera from r/aww
Anywhozle, I had frog freeze when I started to rip it out. I’m so close to finishing it, and I have plenty of yarn leftover to make the Goat hat. Really, all I have to do is finish the crown. Even if I don’t love it, maybe I should finish it. What do you think?
- Not so plain gray sweater for Harald in Manos del Uruguay MaximaI am ready to shape the second neck edge and shoulder, and will mattress stitch the shoulders together. When he is here for family movie night this week (Hocus Pocus) I will have him try it on and make sure things are fitting well, as well as measuring for the sleeve length. I’m pretty sure I’ll have this done in time for Christmas.
- Bobbly Tam in The Fibre Company Arranmore Light I’d really like to wrap this one up. I am ready to decrease for the crown. Is WIP Wednesday a thing because it’s hump day? I notice my knitting is like that. I reach a “hump.” Once I’m over that, things progress quickly.
- Plain blue sock in Knitting Goddess yarnNothing to see here. Not a Hunter Hammersen pattern after all. Just a plain old sock. I’m happy to be knitting a plain sock since the plan was to knit it while walking. I haven’t tried that yet. I hope I’m coordinated enough. Do you knit while walking?
- Purl Soho Sweatshirt in local handspun merinoThis yarn is super yummy to knit. It’s soft and spongy, and I’m wondering if it is soft enough for my son Henry to wear. He doesn’t like anything wool. He’s sensitive to the itch. I had intended this to be for me, but if it comes out too large, I may gift it to him. It’s his color, too. If not, I’ll look for a good acrylic to make something for him, or maybe cotton. Although, knitting with cotton isn’t my favorite since it has no elasticity. I don’t really enjoy knitting with acrylic, either. Any suggestions?
There they are, all my WIPs. I haven’t cast on for the Carbeth yet. I may wait until after the holidays. It’s a bright, holiday red color, though. Maybe I should cast on today? I hear it is a quick knit.
This post is a little loopy (get it)? I should probably take a nap. It would help if I could breathe through my nose.
I’ve highlighted questions and “action items” for you in red, for fun. Please post your answers in the comments, or on your blog. Post a video of you saying “deliverables” while rolling your Rs like Sean Connery. Bonus points if you have a glass of scotch in your hand. I would like that. Is that too much work for a sick day? That’s okay, too. Thanks for reading.