(Image credit The Knitting Goddess)
Karen posted a sock quiz! I’m a notorious sock knitting eschewer but quizzes are great for personal development and blog fodder.
1. Do you knit/crochet socks?
I want to knit socks. I have knit socks. But generally, no, I don’t.
2. If yes, how long have you been making them? If no, why not?
It doesn’t sound fun. I’m primarily a sweater and hat knitter.
3. What is your preferred method? Top down, toe up? Which needles? Do you have a preferred heel type?
I prefer toe up so I can make sure the foot fits well. I hate a baggy sock. I prefer fine yarn for socks but they sure do take a long time! I like a well-turned heel. I’ve never tried an afterthought heel. Are their more flaps than that? Double point needles for me.
4. Have you gifted socks? Were they worn, loved and appreciated?
Never! I am considering knitting a pair for Bob, though. It’s a lot of pressure.
5. Could you make nothing but socks for the rest of your life and be happy?
If I can knit one more pair of socks (I’ve made two pair in my life so far) I could be happy the rest of my life never knitting them again. Or, who knows, I might knit another pair and enjoy them so much I will want to knit more! That’s my hope.
6. One of the most addictive things about sock knitting is the amazing selection of fingering weight yarn that is available. What is your favorite yarn for socks? Do you prefer solid or multicolor yarn? Do you have a fiber preference?
For me it will need to be crazy hand painted colors or solid yarn with textured knitting. Wool plus silk (for strength) is my favorite fiber combo. Throw some cashmere in there and I’m hooked.
Well, that was fun and inspiring. Maybe I will cast on a pair of socks today.
I’m pulling out the linen stitch cowl. It is taking too long and I am afraid I don’t have enough yarn for it. My Hogwarts yarn will make a great pair of clog socks though.
I’m pulling out this Bousta Beanie. It’s not happening.
Do you like my new photo prop? It’s Fair Trade and I picked it up at Pachamama Market when I was in Troy, OH for a work meeting.
I think one should feel good about frogging and this wool felt sunflower does the trick for me.
The new The Just Craft is up!